[Rd] Embeding R

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Tue Jan 20 17:46:16 CET 2009

On Jan 20, 2009, at 10:37 , Sylvain Loiseau wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm planning to embed R into an application, with the following
> context:
>
> - This application is written in Java (and managed with maven). I
> plan accessing R using JRI.
> - This application must be installable on several plateform (linux,
> mac os, windows).
> - The R engine must embed library, some of them having native code
> in C or Fortran.
>
> Does this sound reasonable?

Yes. Since you mentioned JRI - it gives you all of the above for free
(there are CRAN binaries for Windows and OS X; it installs on unix
system with Java; you can link arbitrary libraries from R - that's how
R works). Good pointers are JavaGD (for graphics so you can embed it
in your Java look and feel) and JGR since it does all this already.

Cheers,