[Rd] overwriting '<-' and infinite recursions

luke at stat.uiowa.edu luke at stat.uiowa.edu
Fri Jan 23 22:25:49 CET 2009

While it _may_ be possible to make this work in current R (I don't
know if it is) this is a Really Bad Idea as it will affect every other
piece of R code run on the system. It also may not work at all in
future versions of R (assignment is sufficiently core functionality
that it may not be implemented via a function at all in some
circumstances).  Locked bindings are locked for a reason: we as
developers can assume that their values are what we intend them to be.
If those values are changed then that assumption fails and some things
may stop working.

If you explain what your needs are someone on the list can probably
help you find a more effective and less intrusive way of doing it.

luke