[Rd] Warning for dropped text with devices that don't support clipping

Sebastian Fischmeister sfischme at uwaterloo.ca
Sun Jan 25 03:19:32 CET 2009

Hello,

   Without feedback, it's hard to understand why text does not show up
in the output—especially, if it shows up on one device but not on
another. I suggest adding a warning message when text gets ignored,
because the device doesn't support clipping (see the attached patch).
Unfortunately, I cannot add a test, because warnings are sent to
stderr and not stdout; however, the attached R script shows the warning.

A point for discussion is: how often does the described case occur and
will a warning message confuse the user? For example, warnings as text
gets completely clipped (engine.c:1417) will offend users, because
they happen too often. But then again, all devices will most likely
omit the text in this case. This is does not hold for the described
case.

   Sebastian