[Rd] Defining an iterator

luke at stat.uiowa.edu luke at stat.uiowa.edu
Mon Jan 26 03:32:50 CET 2009

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009, John Chambers wrote:

> It's unclear from your mail what you actually tried to do, but here are
> a few comments that may be relevant.
>
> The syntactic form for() is indeed implemented as a primitive
> function.   Some primitives can and are used as generic functions, but
> `for` is not currently one of them.
>
> > setGeneric("for")
> Error in genericForPrimitive(f) :
>  methods may not be defined for primitive function "for" in this
> version of R
>
> Allowing methods for it would be possible in a future version.  This
> would be a little odd, since the syntax does not look like a function
> call. Still, it's an interesting idea, and I don't know of anything
> offhand to prevent its implementation.

I would VERY STRONGLY prefer NOT to go down this road as it would
significantly complicate code analysis and compilation at no great
benefit I can see.  Allowing the current for() code to accept an
iterator object of some sort is reasonable and would not create any
issues.  Figuring out what such an iterator should be is a little
harder and depends in part on whether we would want to support things
more general than vector-like objects, such infinite and mutable
collections.

luke

> [...]
> (primitives don't intrinsically have argument names, so we would make
> one up, `seq` is used in the documentation, although something like
> `object` would be more suggestive).
>
> Your comments about coercing are unclear and you showed no examples of
> what supposedly went wrong.  In fact, that approach works fine:
>
> > setClass("foo",representation(bar="list"))
> [1] "foo"
> > setAs("foo","list",function(from)from at bar)
> > xx = new("foo", bar = list(1,2,3))
> > as(xx, "list")
> [[1]]
> [1] 1
>
> [[2]]
> [1] 2
>
> [[3]]
> [1] 3
>
> > for(i in as(xx, "list")) dput(i)
> 1
> 2
> 3
>
> Of course, this is not exactly defining methods for the iterator, but
> would be a sensible workaround in practice.
>
> Along the same lines, if one asks how the underlying ideas fit naturally
> into R, as opposed to making R behave more like other languages, here's
> my take on that.  The `for` operator is defined to work on vectors of
> various kinds.  If a new class is supposed to be "like" a vector, then
> the two natural choices are to define a method to coerce it to a vector
> (as in the example above) or to make it a subclass of "vector" (or of a
> specific vector class):
>
> > setClass("baz", contains = "vector")
> [1] "baz"
> > yy = new("baz", list(1,2,3))
> > for(i in yy) dput(i)
> 1
> 2
> 3
>
> Which choice works best depends on what the "real" meaning of the class
> is (there's discussion of these and other alternatives in section 9.3 of
> "Software for Data Analysis").
>

> John Chambers
>
> Stavros Macrakis wrote:
>> Inspired by Rudolf Biczok's query of Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 1:25 AM, I
>> tried to implement iteration in a generic way using S4. (Though I am
>> admittedly still struggling with learning S4.)
>>

>>> setClass("foo",representation(bar="list"))
>>>
>> [1] "foo"
>>
>>> x<-new("foo",bar=list(1,2,3))
>>>

>> Given this, I would not expect for(i in x)... to work, since R has no
>> way of knowing that x at bar should be used as is.  What would it do if
>> the representation included two lists?  What if list(1,2,3) is used by
>> the class foo to represent something else?
>>
>> But I did hope that I could put in place some definitions so that the
>> *class* could define an iterator.
>>
>> First I tried overloading `for` to allow the definition of iterator
>> classes, but as a primitive function, `for` cannot be overloaded.
>>
>> Then I tried to see how the Containers package handles iterators:
>>

>>> library(Containers);.jinit();.jpackage("Containers")
>>> ah = MaxHeap(); ah$insert(3)