[Rd] Suggestion: Dimension-sensitive attributes

Tony Plate tplate at acm.org
Wed Jul 8 18:00:50 CEST 2009

There have been times when I've thought this could be useful too.

One way to go about it could be to introduce a special attribute that
controls how attributes are dealt with in subsetting, e.g.,
"attr.dimname.like".  The contents of this would be character data; on
subsetting, any attribute that had a name appearing in this vector would
be treated as a dimension.  At the same time, it might be nice to also
introduce "attr.keep.on.subset", which would specify which attributes
should be kept on the result of a subsetting operation (could be useful
for attributes that specify units).  This of course could be a way of
implementing Henrik's suggestion: dimattr(x, "misc") <- value would add
"misc" to the "attr.dimname.like" attribute and also set the attribute
"misc".  The tricky part would be modifying the "[" methods.   However,
the most useful would probably be the one for ordinary matrices and
arrays, and others could be modified when and if their maintainers see
the need.

-- Tony Plate