[Rd] R 2.8->2.9 change that breaks some upgrade scenarios

Hin-Tak Leung htl10 at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Jul 18 00:48:29 CEST 2009

--- On Fri, 17/7/09, Martin Maechler <maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch> wrote:

> R 2.9.x  uses  R code instead of the previous perl code for
> INSTALL. That's the explanation for the difference.
>
> I agree that it would be quite useful if they supported features
> as you mention, and we (R-core) will be very willing to accept
> (well-tested) patches enabling that.

I just checked R trunk - only "SHLIB", "INSTALL", "REMOVE" has undergone the shell/perl script->R routine transformation. I would suggest just adding --vanilla to those three. (personally I have never used the last one - just dumping the package directory from within the library directory normally remove almost all trace of a package anyway).

Hin-Tak