[Rd] Rcmd check fails on Windows Samba network path in R 2.9.1

Kevin R. Coombes krcoombes at mdacc.tmc.edu
Wed Jul 22 15:10:11 CEST 2009

Hi,

Thanks; that confirms that the problem originates where I thought it
did, and provides a fix from within R.

However, the original problem was that running "Rcmd check" from a
Windows/DOS command prompt on a package on a mounted Samba network drive
fails.  The failure occurs because of the file.access call in
"install.R", which appears to get incorrect information from the
operating system.  Is it possible to get install.R changed so it works
in this situation?

(Under the philosophy that "it is easier to beg forgiveness than to ask
permission", perhaps install R should just try to create/write what it
wants and only fail iby checking the result rather than 'asking
permission"....)

Best,
    Kevin