[Rd] Wishlist: install.packages to look for the newest version (PR#13852)

Thomas Lumley tlumley at u.washington.edu
Fri Jul 24 23:43:38 CEST 2009

Uwe,

I think Ulrike is making a different suggestion, that install.packages() should fetch the binary that has been built for the current version of R.

This would be a bad idea for a different reason -- in general it is not possible to be sure that the package works with an older version of R. The R version dependency isn't enough for two reasons. The first is that the author may well not know that the package fails with an older version of R and so would not have listed a dependency. The second is that the binary versions may be incompatible even if the source versions are compatible.

You can always download a binary package from CRAN in a browser and use the option to install from a local zip file. Or, as Uwe suggests, get a new version of R.

What I think might be useful if it's not too difficult is a warning from install.packages() that a newer version of the package you were installing is available for the current version of R.

      -thomas