[Rd] Using svSocket with data.table

Matthew Dowle mdowle at mdowle.plus.com
Sat Jul 25 09:07:44 CEST 2009

Hi r-devel,

svSocket is working well.  Short demo here of using it with data.table :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvT8XThGA8o
If you maximise and press the HD button it should be readable.  There isn't
any audio.

However, svSocket is currently text based IPC using dump.  Is there a
solution which will do binary and work in the same way ?  Its nice that I
can make R become a server any time after it starts up i.e. I'm not
restricted to just R sessions that have been started by some cluster
wrapper.  Its also great that the command line interface is not blocked.   I
can even type options(debug.Socket=TRUE) into the server to see the traffic,
then type in to set debug back to FALSE again,  all while its running
(although that isn't in this demo).  And of course this is cross platform,
the R client can be 32 bit windows, the R server can be 64 bit lunix.  Or
remote graphics for example.

So I'm looking to do the same as the demo,  but with a binary socket.  Does
anyone have any ideas?  I've looked a bit at  Rserve, bigmemory, biocep, nws
but although all those packages are great,  I didn't find anything that
worked in exactly this way i.e.  i) R to R ii) CLI non-blocking and iii) no
need to startup R in a special way

Regards, Matthew