[Rd] How to use formulas for multivariate clustered data?

Klaus Nordhausen Klaus.Nordhausen at uta.fi
Tue Jul 28 18:58:44 CEST 2009

Dear R experts,

I wrote already a couple of weeks ago but did not get any reply.
Therefore I'll rephrase my question and hope some of you can give me
some answers or some advice where better to look for an answer.

In general I'm looking for information on how to program functions
using formulas in order to write a nonparametric multivariate
regression function with possible clustering of the data.

I would assume that the formulas for my function would have the form
y1 + y2 + y3 ~ x | z
or
Y ~ x | z,

where y1, y2 and y3 are continuous response variables, or Y the matrix
of responses and x an explaining variable and z a factor indicating
the cluster membership.

I'm looking for general information about writing functions using
formulas. But more concrete I would need to know what would be the
best way to make sure that the response should be multivariate and
numeric? What is the best way to define the hierarchical structure, is
it the "|" or is there another, better way? How can I restrict the
number of hierarchical levels?
And how to use in this context, the data, subset, weights and na.action
arguments?

Thanks in advance,

Klaus

--