[Rd] The default position of plot title

Ben Bolker bolker at ufl.edu
Tue Jun 2 14:44:03 CEST 2009

ronggui-2 wrote:

> Dear R-developers,
>
> It seems to me that the position of title is usually at the bottom of
> a plot in sociological and political science books and articles. I
> wonder if the same convention applies in other disciplines. If yes, is
> it reasonable to change the default position of main title of plot
> function?

  I'm not an R developer, but:

 * in my field (biology/ecology), it's at the top.
 * it doesn't seem that hard to put the titles where you want with mtext()
 * changing this would have major backward-compatibility/surprise issues
for all the other users who expect the title to be at the top ...

  Ben Bolker