[Rd] proposed changes to RSiteSearch

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Thu Jun 4 07:58:16 CEST 2009

spencerg wrote:
> Hello All:
>

>       What do you think of adding a function "RSiteSeach" to the package
> of that name, masking the "RSiteSearch" function in "utils", trapping
> any call RSiteSearch('searchstring', 'function') to the current
> RSiteSearch.function and passing all others to "utils:::RSiteSearch"?
> This was suggested by a referee to a manuscript on this new capability
> submitted to "R Journal".  The current version of this manuscript is
> available via "system.file('doc', 'RSiteSearch.pdf',
> package='RSiteSearch')" if you have the "RSiteSearch" package installed.

I suppose this depends on your long term plans for the function and
package.  If you think it should eventually replace the utils function,
then it makes sense to use the same name:  users won't get used to a new
name in the meantime.  But if you think it will diverge from that
function, then you might as well pick a separate name now.

I disagree with Gabor about this being heavy handed, at least while it
is the only significant export in the package.  If people don't want it,
don't attach the package.

Duncan Murdoch