[Rd] need help with libtool/aclocal error

Kynn Jones kynnjo at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 00:22:58 CEST 2009

I'm trying to build an executable for a program I wrote.  The
compilation steps go well, but the linking step fails with a libtool
"version mismatch" error.  My linking command has this prefix:

/path/to/R/bin/R CMD LINK gcc -g -std=gnu99 ... etc.

The error looks like this:

libtool: Version mismatch error.  This is libtool 2.2, but the
libtool: definition of this LT_INIT comes from libtool 2.2.6.
libtool: You should recreate aclocal.m4 with macros from libtool 2.2
libtool: and run autoconf again.

I have no idea what this error message is referring to.  The version
of libtool installed on the system is none of the ones mentioned in
this error:

% libtool --version
ltmain.sh (GNU libtool) 1.5.22 Debian 1.5.22-4 (1.1220.2.365
2005/12/18 22:14:06)

<FSF disclaimer>

The libtool in the R directory has version 2.2:

% /path/to/R/bin/libtool --version

ltmain.sh (GNU libtool) 2.2
Written by Gordon Matzigkeit <gord at gnu.ai.mit.edu>, 1996

<FSF disclaimer>

Strangely enough, this same libtool script has the following lines in
its source code:

# Which release of libtool.m4 was used?
macro_version=2.2.6
macro_revision=1.3012

I don't know what to make of this.

Be that as it may, does anyone know how I could get past this sticking point?

TIA!

G.

P.S. I should point out that the R I'm using is one that I just
compiled so that I could run R under valgrind.  Here's the ./configure
command I used before running make:

% ./configure --prefix=/path/to/R --enable-R-shlib --enable-BLAS-shlib
--with-valgrind-instrumentation=2