[Rd] CRAN build/checks: Dependencies on non-CRAN packages?

Henrik Bengtsson hb at stat.berkeley.edu
Mon Jun 8 09:23:48 CEST 2009

On Sun, Jun 7, 2009 at 11:49 PM, Kurt Hornik<Kurt.Hornik at wu.ac.at> wrote:

>> Hi,
>> how is the CRAN build/check system dealing with dependencies on
>> non-CRAN packages?  Are there external repositories that are dealt
>> with in special ways, e.g. Bioconductor and Omegahat?  Is this
>> documented somewhere?
>
>> The most recent note on this that I could locate is "[Rd] CRAN,
>> Bioconductor and ctv package dependency questions", Kurt Hornik, Sept
>> 8, 2005;
>> https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-devel/2005-September/034547.html.
>> Does the comments in that thread still reflect how CRAN works?
>
> Not quite.  No more special casing of BioC or Ohat dependencies: they
> simply "work", and packages with such dependencies can fully be checked.

Hmm... so you're saying R CMD check pass ("work") although a package
is missing?  If so, what about example/test code where that external
package is loaded?  ...or even harder, where a function of that
external package is called, e.g.

require("externalPkg") || stop(...);
res <- externalPkg::specialFcn(...);
stopifnot(identical(res,42));

This is not a constructed example; I do have some example():s].

Thxs

Henik