[Rd] CRAN build/checks: Dependencies on non-CRAN packages?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Jun 8 11:17:37 CEST 2009

On Mon, 8 Jun 2009, Kurt Hornik wrote:

>> Hi,
>> how is the CRAN build/check system dealing with dependencies on
>> non-CRAN packages?  Are there external repositories that are dealt
>> with in special ways, e.g. Bioconductor and Omegahat?  Is this
>> documented somewhere?
>
>> The most recent note on this that I could locate is "[Rd] CRAN,
>> Bioconductor and ctv package dependency questions", Kurt Hornik, Sept
>> 8, 2005;
>> https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-devel/2005-September/034547.html.
>> Does the comments in that thread still reflect how CRAN works?
>
> Not quite.  No more special casing of BioC or Ohat dependencies: they
> simply "work", and packages with such dependencies can fully be checked.

With some caveats.  The CRAN check summaries are from four sets of
systems (CRAN's, the Windows and Mac autobuilders and my server using
the Sun Studio compiler) and hence four supervisors.

Most of us install the BioC and Omegahat packages that are needed as
dependencies in so far as we can (this looks to be less so for the Mac
autobuilder).  But 'in so far as we can' has limits, not least the
time needed to fiddle around with some of them.

In principle if a package depended on an off-CRAN/BioC/Omegahat
package and it was clear where to get it we would try to install it --
however, in all past instances I have failed in that installation.

It may be worth adding that as the number of packages grows the total
time available to work on those that fail does not increase (and all
of us involved have less time for this than we once had), so the
effort available per problematic package has decreased considerably.
Also, Omegahat no longer provides Windows binaries and the
alternatives (CRAN extras, BioC extras) only cover a few.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk