[Rd] R_parseVector and syntax error [was: error messages while parsing with rniParse]

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Fri Jun 19 00:34:21 CEST 2009

On Jun 18, 2009, at 17:02 , Duncan Murdoch wrote:

> Romain Francois wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> [I'm redirecting this here from stats-rosuda-devel]
>>
>> When parsing R code through R_parseVector and the code generates an
>> error (syntax error), is there a way to grab the error.
>> It looks like yyerror populates the buffer "R_ParseErrorMsg", but
>> then the variable is not part of the public api.
>>
>> Would it be possible to add yet another entry point to the parser
>> that would basically wrap R_parseVector so that it would have an
>> extra char* argument that would bring back the error message if
>> there is an error?
>>

> I would oppose that.  Suggest ways to reduce the complexity of the
> parser interface and I'd be interested.  It's a nightmare to make
> any changes there.
>
> You can always call the R function wrapped in try(), so it's not as
> though this would give you anything that you don't already have
> access to.

I'm not quite following - we're talking about R_ParseVector in C code
so the point is that the C code gets access to the error message so it
can relay it to the user. There are no R-level functions involved
here. The issue here for the moment is that this information is
retrievable at R level but not (officially) at the C level. As for
reducing complexity - technically, there is no complexity added since
all this is already in place ... [adding extra char * argument to
ParseVector may not be the best way but that's not what I'm arguing
for]. Or am I missing something?

Cheers,