[Rd] RGui Configuration Editor crashes when using an unlisted font

Richard.Cotton at hsl.gov.uk Richard.Cotton at hsl.gov.uk
Fri Jun 19 15:10:35 CEST 2009

I am using R2.9.0 under Windows XP SP 2 (32-bit).

I just discovered a rather excellent programming font
(http://www.dafont.com/bitstream-vera-mono.font).  Since it isn't one of
the fonts listed as an option in the RGui Configuration Editor, I manually
editted my RConsole file font line to

font = Bitstream Vera Sans Mono

When I opened R, the text in the console displayed correctly, but when I
tried to open the RGui Configuration Editor (via Edit -> Gui preferences),
R crashed.

I've repeated this with several other fonts that aren't on the standard
list of available fonts and the behaviour is reproduced.  I've also
reproduced the crash on another machine running R2.9.0 and WinXP.

Please can someone check to see if the problem occurs on the development
build/other operating systems, and I will file a bug report.

Regards,
Richie.

Mathematical Sciences Unit
HSL