[Rd] ready to toss the towel | lapack and 2.9.0

Evan Cooch cooch17 at verizon.net
Fri Jun 26 05:10:13 CEST 2009

Well, I've now tried just about every permutation I can think of -
including using the ATLAS lapack (instead of generic), in various
combinations with ACML, or generic BLAS, or ATLAS blas. No matter what I
do, so long as I have lapack of any flavour, I get the 'stats error'
with make check. And, it always seems to throw the error at the same
point in the stats test file (an svd in cancorr, or some such).
Specifically, BLAS/LAPACK routine 'DGESDD' gave error code -12.

So, I can pass the 'check tests' so long as I'm willing to drop lapack.
Fine, except that big algebra things take insane amounts of time without
lapack (1-20 fold decrease in throughput).

If it matters, here are some specific specs...

gcc version 4.1.2 20080704 (Red Hat 4.1.2-44)
lapack-3.0-37.el5
blas-3.0-37.el5
atlas-3.8.3-1.el5

I'd really not have to go through the cycle of trying one distro after
another (and I gave up on Fedora because of the all-too-quick end of
life on each release, not to mention all the 'broken bits' you need to
live with on the 'bleeding edge'). I'm open to suggestions/obvious
solutions. I really need to get this working.

Thanks in advance...