[Rd] Rd: pdf manual: package information not on first page

Thorn Thaler thothal at sbox.tugraz.at
Fri Jun 26 13:36:50 CEST 2009

Duncan Murdoch schrieb:
> How did you produce the manual?  When I do R CMD Rd2dvi on a package, I
> get the package man page first.  There are other ways to produce the
> manual, and in some cases we may not control the sort order.

Well, I see. There is a misunderstanding regarding the term "package
documentation". What I meant (but probably didn't make clear enough ;)
by "package documentation" is the output generated from the file
"<package-name>-package.Rd", where I put some information about the
package itself. The idea was that if you type ?<package-name> you will
get a short overview of what the package is about.

When I ran "R CMD check" a pdf manual was created conveniently. Since
I'm new to package writing I was not aware that one has the possibility
to create another type of (pdf) package documentation via "R CMD
Rd2dvi". Rd2dvi puts a package summary on the very first page. The page
number on which the output from <package-name>-package.Rd itself appears
depends on the file name.

However, the output from Rd2dvi looks much neater, so I'll be happy with
this version. Thanks for your input.

By the way, is it possible to exclude certain "Rd" files from the
pdftexing process? The reason why I'd like to do that is, that my
<package-name>-package.Rd file is mainly the same as the preamble
created by Rd2dvi (basically a list of the functions of the package). It
would be convenient to have such a file for the R inline help, but it is
unnecessary in the pdf manual. Any ideas? (however, i've to confess that
this is really a minor problem ;)

Thorn