[Rd] Problem making the manuals (make dvi and make pdf)

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Fri Jun 26 13:55:15 CEST 2009

Hi Roland,

On 26 June 2009 at 10:46, Rau, Roland wrote:
| Dear all,
|
| I am trying to compile and install R from sources on Ubuntu GNU/Linux 64
| bit. It usually worked flawlessly for me for more than 4 years (32bit
| and 64bit on Mandrake/Mandriva, Suse, Debian, Ubuntu). However, I am
| experiencing some problems now -- not during compiling and installing R
| itself but with the manuals.
|
| Maybe someone can help me with it? I tried to find some information in
| the archives on the web but I was not successful.
|
| Please let me explain therefore in detail where the problem is (incl.
| some additional information):
|
| Following the instructions in section 2.2 of the R Installation and
| Administration Manual
| (http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-admin.html#Making-the-manuals),
| making the info manuals works fine via "make info"
|
| However, when I want to make the dvi and pdf manuals, I get the
| following error:
| ======================================================

| tables,
| conditionals, indexing, sectioning, toc, environments, defuns, macros,
| cross references, insertions, (./epsf.tex
| This is `epsf.tex' v2.7.3 <23 July 2005>
| ) localization, formatting, and turning on texinfo input format.)
| (/usr/share/texmf/tex/lilypond/txi-en.tex
| /usr/share/texmf/tex/lilypond/txi-en.tex:22: Undefined control sequence.
| l.22 \txisetlanguage
|                     {USenglish}{2}{3}
| ?

Can you try again after uninstalling lilypond?

We do this in an automated fashion all the time on Debian and Ubuntu where is
works fine.  But we do this mostly in 'clean chroot' environments (via
pbuilder) which minimises side effects. I'd think you are simply bitten by
lilypond here.

| ======================================================
|
| The output I am pasting is from:
| > version
|                _
| platform       x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
| arch           x86_64
| os             linux-gnu
| system         x86_64, linux-gnu
| status
| major          2
| minor          9.0
| year           2009
| month          04
| day            17
| svn rev        48333
| language       R
| version.string R version 2.9.0 (2009-04-17)
|

| I tried it yesterday also with the latest development and patched
| releases --> same result.
| Is it a TeX/LaTeX-problem?

I think so.

And if everything else fails: CRAN does have current R packages for amd64 on
Ubuntu. I use those myself at work.

Dirk