[Rd] bug in Rf_PrintValue ?

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Sat Jun 27 01:09:53 CEST 2009

Kynn Jones wrote:
> I'm very green with R, so maybe this is not a bug, but it looks like one to
> me.  The following program segfaults at the second call to Rf_PrintValue().
>  To failure depends on the value of the y-string.  E.g., if I change it from
> "coverage" to, say, "COVERAGE", the segfault does not occur.
>
> /* bug.c */
> #include <stdio.h>
> #include <Rinternals.h>
> #include <Rembedded.h>
>
> int main(int argc, char **argv) {
>   char *x = "foo";
>   char *y = "coverage";
>   SEXP x_r, y_r;
>
>   Rf_initEmbeddedR(argc, argv);
>   PROTECT( x_r = mkChar( x ) );

mkChar creates a CHARSXP. These are not normally user-visible, but
instead are placed into a STRSXP (vector type of 'character' in R). So
you want to

    PROTECT( x_r = allocVector(STRSXP, 1) );
    SET_STRING_ELT(x_r, 0, mkChar( x ));

(There is also mkString( x ) for the special case of constructing
character(1)).

I think the segfault is because the CHARSXP returned by mkChar is
initialized with information different from that expected of
user-visible SEXPs (I think it is the information on chaining the node
to the hash table; see Defn.h:120 and memory.c:2844); I think the
success of Rf_PrintValue on 'foo' is a ghost left over from when
CHARSXPs were user-visible.

Martin