[Rd] methods package

John Chambers jmc at r-project.org
Thu Mar 5 18:08:57 CET 2009

Hi Terry,

Terry Therneau wrote:
>   I'm working on the next version of coxme, one step of which is converting
> the bdsmatrix library from Splus to R.  Actually, it is a conversion from
> S4 methods as first described in the Green book to S4 methods as they
> currently exist.  Mostly it's going ok, but not entirely.
>
>   1. The biggest issue is lack of documentation.  The online help pages have
> not been a help; they keep saying it's "as found in the green book - almost".
> I've looked for the package on CRAN in the hopes for more there, but can't
> find it.  Perchance there is something obvious that I am missing?

Well, one is that there is a 2008 book, "Software for Data Analysis",
that I wrote partly to describe this and other topics from an R
perspective.  It's a reference on most pages of documentation related to
methods (in R version 2.8.1; you should be using that and/or the r-devel
version if you're revising a package).

John