[Rd] Follow-up on the wish for a visibility flag with tryEval ?

Laurent Gautier lgautier at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 20:22:19 CET 2009

I guess that I should have been reminding that the thread referred to is
mostly about C API-level utilities (and the subject for this thread
should be mentioning more precisely *R_tryEval()* ).

Wrapping evaluation from C-level in an R-level withVisible() call is
certainly possible if this is the only way to do it:

- a C-level utility function is probably becoming handy (and that's
mostly what the wish is about, AFAIUI).

- the traceback has at least one added layer from the call to
withVisible(); this is something supplementary to take care of when
writing a GUI for example.

Those are possible reasons why the threads tells that withVisible()
[R-level] is a temporary option, waiting for something like
R_tryEvalWithVis() [C-level].

Can't I find any such C-level because there isn't any, or because I just
missed it ?

Thanks,

L.