[Rd] patch for 'merge' docs

Peter Dalgaard P.Dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Mon Mar 9 13:47:01 CET 2009

Roger D. Peng wrote:
> Hmm, I see what you mean, and I'd be willing to accept that logic if I
> could find a single other instance in the R documentation where that
> shorthand was used. But I suppose this might be the only instance
> where such a shorthand is necessary.

Could you repeat what the patch was (presumably your mailer claimed that
it was non-text)?

The text could probably improved if it confuses the reader. Most of what
it says is actually implied by the argument defaults (all.x=all,
all.y=all), and it is not perfectly logical anyway (all sets the
_default_ for all.x and all.y, but you can still set e.g. all=T, all.y=F).

I think we could simplify the text to something like

     all: logical; Provides a convenient way to set both 'all.x' and
             'all.y' (defined below).