[Rd] S4 generic masking S3 generic when using namespace

Gad Abraham gabraham at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Tue Mar 10 11:02:07 CET 2009

Hi,

I have two example packages, test1 and test2, where the only code in
them is:

setGeneric("predict", function(object, ...) standardGeneric("predict"))

(get them from http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~gabraham/test1.tar and
http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~gabraham/test2.tar)

The difference between them is that first does not have a namespace, and
loads fine. The second has a namespace but generates a warning:
 > library(test2)

Attaching package: 'test2'

	The following object(s) are masked from package:stats :

	 predict

Is this an intended behaviour? If I ignore this masking warning, do I
risk unintended consequences later down the track?

Thanks,
Gad

 > sessionInfo()
R version 2.8.1 (2008-12-22)
i386-apple-darwin8.11.1

locale:
en_AU.UTF-8/en_AU.UTF-8/C/C/en_AU.UTF-8/en_AU.UTF-8

attached base packages:

other attached packages:
[1] test2_0.1

--