[Rd] Could you please add "time<-" as a generic function in the 'stats' package ?

Yohan Chalabi chalabi at phys.ethz.ch
Wed Mar 11 14:55:57 CET 2009

Dear R developers,

As you might have noticed, recent changes in R-dev will not allow the
definition of S3 methods with S4 classes.

But until now, we have defined "time<-" in our 'timeSeries' package as
an S3 generic because other packages are using the same function.
Indeed, if we had defined it as an S4 generic, the other packages
would not coexist well with ours.

Another package might overwrite the generic and its methods when both
packages are loaded.

In my understanding the only way to avoid this problem is to add

`time<-`
function (x, value)
{
    UseMethod("time<-")
}

in the 'stats' package.

As a wish for the forthcoming R version I would like to ask you if you
could add "time<-" as a generic function in the 'stats' package to
prevent conflicts and to ensure that packages continue to work well
together.

Thank you in advance for your feedback!

--
PhD student