[Rd] better function name: make or as

Dan Kelley kelley.dan at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 23:06:02 CET 2009

I've written a function (for the 'oce' package) that takes a list of one type
of object (a "station", observations made by a ship at one location), and
creates another object (a "section", containing a sequence of station
observations).

My question is, should I name my function "make.section()" or
"as.section()"?

I wouldd like to pattern the name on other R functions, but I'm having
difficulty understanding when 'as' and 'make' are used.  (At the moment, I
am using 'make', because it seems to me that 'as' is mainly for mapping
input to output on a sort of one-to-one basis.)

Any suggestions?