[Rd] iconv.dll in Windows

James MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Thu Mar 12 14:17:09 CET 2009

I recently built R-devel on Windows XP (sessionInfo below), and when loading libraries that require the iconv.dll was getting an error stating that 'This application has failed to start because iconv.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.'.

An R-2.8.1 that I installed using the Windows installer has this dll in R-2.8.1/bin, whereas in R-devel it is still in R-devel/src/gnuwin32/unicode. Moving the dll  to R-devel/bin alleviates the problem.

I built using the recent recommendations of P. Dalgaard  (make Rpwd.exe, make link-recommended, make all recommended). I don't see anything in the NEWS for this version, but maybe I missed something?

Best,

Jim

> sessionInfo()
R version 2.9.0 Under development (unstable) (2009-03-11 r48117)
i386-pc-mingw32

locale:
LC_COLLATE=English_United States.1252;LC_CTYPE=English_United States.1252;LC_MONETARY=English_United States.1252;LC_NUMERIC=C;LC_TIME=English_United States.1252

attached base packages:
[1] stats     graphics  grDevices datasets  utils     methods   base

other attached packages:
[1] XML_1.99-0
--

James W. MacDonald, M.S.