[Rd] Summer of Code, LLVM, parallelization and R

luke at stat.uiowa.edu luke at stat.uiowa.edu
Mon Mar 16 14:12:05 CET 2009

There is ongoing work on developing a byte code compiler for R.  A
preliminary implementation is available and the corresponding byte
code engine is part of the R distribution.  The initial engine has
been a useful proof of concept but is in the process of being
rewritten from scratch, in part with an eye to supporting
parallelization at least of vectorized math operations; I expect to
make signitficant progress on this over the coming summer.  There are
a lot of open design issues relating to changes or adjustments
(e.g. via declarations) in the R language that might be needed or help
in generating good code, which makes this too loosely specified to
make a good SoC project at the moment.  By summer 2010 it may have
jelled to the point where it is reasonable to spin off projects to,
for example, target lower level VMs like LLVM or JVM or .Net's VM from
the higher level R VM code.

Best,

luke