[Rd] dput(as.list(function...)...) bug

Wacek Kusnierczyk Waclaw.Marcin.Kusnierczyk at idi.ntnu.no
Tue Mar 24 00:53:43 CET 2009

Stavros Macrakis wrote:
> Tested in R 2.8.1 Windows
>

>> ff <- formals(function(x)1)
>> ff1 <- as.list(function(x)1)[1]
>>
> # ff1 acts the same as ff in the examples below, but is a list rather
> than a pairlist
>

>> dput( ff , control=c("warnIncomplete"))
>>
> list(x = )
>
> This string is not parsable, but dput does not give a warning as specified.

same in 2.10.0 r48200, ubuntu 8.04 linux 32 bit

>> dput( ff , control=c("all","warnIncomplete"))
>>
> list(x = quote())

likewise.

> This string is parseable, but quote() is not evaluable, and again dput
> does not give a warning as specified.
>
> In fact, I don't know how to write out ff$x.  It appears to be the
> zero-length name:
>
>     is.name(ff$x) => TRUE
>     as.character(ff$x) => ""
>
> but there is no obvious way to create such an object:
>
>     as.name("") => execution error
>     quote(``) => parse error
>
> The above examples should either produce a parseable and evaluable
> output (preferable), or give a warning.

interestingly,

    quote(NULL)
    # NULL

    as.name(NULL)
    # Error in as.name(NULL) :
    #  invalid type/length (symbol/0) in vector allocation

æsj.

vQ

>             -s
>
> PS As a matter of comparative linguistics, many versions of Lisp allow
> zero-length symbols/names.  But R coerces strings to symbols/names in
> a way that Lisp does not, so that might be an invitation to obscure
> bugs in R where it is rarely problematic in Lisp.
>
> PPS dput(pairlist(23),control="all") also gives the same output as
> dput(list(23),control="all"), but as I understand it, pairlists will
> become non-user-visible at some point.

Wacek Kusnierczyk, MD PhD

Email: waku at idi.ntnu.no
Phone: +47 73591875, +47 72574609

Department of Computer and Information Science (IDI)
Faculty of Information Technology, Mathematics and Electrical Engineering (IME)
Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU)
Sem Saelands vei 7, 7491 Trondheim, Norway
Room itv303

Bioinformatics & Gene Regulation Group
Department of Cancer Research and Molecular Medicine (IKM)
Faculty of Medicine (DMF)
Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU)
Laboratory Center, Erling Skjalgsons gt. 1, 7030 Trondheim, Norway
Room 231.05.060