[Rd] what is the preferred method to create a package local variable?

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Tue Mar 31 18:41:01 CEST 2009

Hi Whit --

Whit Armstrong <armstrong.whit at gmail.com> writes:

> for the moment, I'm using:
>
> .onAttach <- function(libname, pkgname) {
>     .bbg.db.conn <<- dbConnect(dbDriver("PostgreSQL"), user="blah","blah")
> }
>
> .onUnload <- function(libpath) {
>     dbDisconnect(.bbg.db.conn)
> }
>

> which results in a hidden global variable in the global environment.
>
> I would prefer to make the assignment only in the package namespace.
> I've looked at assignInNamespace, but I can't seem to make it work.
>
> Is there a preferred method for doing this?

I don't konw about preferred, but one method is

pkgVars <- local({
    x <- NULL
    list(getX=function() x, setX=function(value) x <<- value)
})

with use

> pkgVars$getX()
NULL
> pkgVars$setX(123)
> pkgVars$getX()
[1] 123

This introduces a different programming paradigm (a list of functions)
that might not be familiar for end-users and is not readily amenable
to documentation. A probably better way is

pkgVars <- new.env(parent=emptyenv())
getX <- function() get("x", pkgVars, inherits=FALSE)
setX <- function(value) assign("x", value, envir=pkgVars)

> getX()
Error in get("x", pkgVars, inherits = FALSE) : object 'x' not found
> setX(123)
> getX()
[1] 123

A tidier response to the first getX() could be arranged with something
like

pkgVars <- local({
    env <- new.env(parent=emptyenv())
    env[["x"]] <- NULL
    env
})

pkgVars, getX, and setX can be exported from the name space or not.

FWIW, usually one wants .onLoad rather than .onAttach, so that a
package import-ing your package (not just depend-ing, or when used
directly in an interactive session) will execute the setup code.

Hope that helps and is not too misleading.

Martin