[Rd] NA_real_ <op> NaN -> NA or NaN, should we care?

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Fri May 1 15:14:26 CEST 2009

    >> On Linux when I compile R 2.10.0(devel) (src/main/arithmetic.c in
    >> particular)
    >> with gcc 3.4.5 using the flags -g -O2 I get noncommutative behavior when

    MM> is this really gcc 3.4.5  (which is quite old) ?

    MM> Without being an expert, I'd tend to claim this to be a
    MM> compiler (optimization) bug ....  but most probably the ANSI /
    MM> ISO  C (and libc ?) standards would not define the exact
    MM> behavior of arithmetic with NaNs.

    >> adding NA and NaN:
    >>> NA_real_ + NaN
    >> [1] NaN
    >>> NaN + NA_real_
    >> [1] NA
    >> If I compile src/main/arithmetic.c without optimization (just -g)
    >> then both of those return NA.

    >> On Windows, using a precompiled R 2.8.1 from CRAN I get
    >> NA for both answers.

    >> On Linux, after compiling src/main/arithmetic.c with -g -O2 the bit
    >> patterns for NA_real_ and as.numeric(NA) are different:
    >>> my_numeric_NA <- as.numeric(NA)
    >>> writeBin(my_numeric_NA, ptmp<-pipe("od -x", open="wb"));close(ptmp)
    >> 0000000 07a2 0000 0000 7ff8
    >> 0000010
    >>> writeBin(NA_real_, ptmp<-pipe("od -x", open="wb"));close(ptmp)
    >> 0000000 07a2 0000 0000 7ff0
    >> 0000010
    >> On Linux, after compiling with -g the bit patterns for NA_real_
    >> and as.numeric(NA) are identical.
    >>> my_numeric_NA <- as.numeric(NA)
    >>> writeBin(my_numeric_NA, ptmp<-pipe("od -x", open="wb"));close(ptmp)
    >> 0000000 07a2 0000 0000 7ff8
    >> 0000010
    >>> writeBin(NA_real_, ptmp<-pipe("od -x", open="wb"));close(ptmp)
    >> 0000000 07a2 0000 0000 7ff8
    >> 0000010

    >> On Windows, using precompiled R 2.8.1 and cygwin/bin/od, both of those
    >> gave the 7ff8 version.

I've run a couple of

     echo 'c(NA+NaN, NaN+NA)' | R --slave --vanilla

on 3 different platforms, all Linux, and many installed versions
of R -- all of which compiled with defaults, i.e. '-O2',
        and depending on its release date, compiled with
	different versions of gcc {I can still check these
	because I run R from the installation directory, with
	all configure results ..}
on a given platform, and have observed the following:

The result is always "NA NA" (as desired!)  iff the platform is 32-bit,

whereas it is        "NaN NA" for the 64-bit platform and older
	   	     	      versions of R (R <= 2.3.1)

	   	 and "NA NaN" for versions of R (>= 2.4.1)

{{but note: the versions of R are confounded with the versions of gcc ...}}

Further, as the 64-bit platform can also use the 32-bit versions of R,
I've tested a few and found that indeed, the 32-bit version of R
would return "NA NA" also on the 64-bit platform.

Martin