[Rd] crash after using graphics in Rcmdr (PR#13679)

DevinJ devin.johnson at noaa.gov
Fri May 1 19:48:10 CEST 2009

This happens to me every time I try a plot command from TextWrangler with the
following applescript

tell application "TextWrangler"
	set the_selection to (selection of front window as string)
	if (the_selection) is "" then
		set the_selection to line (get startLine of selection) of front window as
string
	end if
end tell
tell application "R64"
	cmd the_selection
end tell

I don't know if that sheds any light on the situation. I do like
TextWrangler but can't use it because any time I send a plot command over it
plots fine with Quartz, but when I close the window (manually or with
dev.off()) I get the segfault.

Rob Goedman-3 wrote:

> John,
>
> To the best of my knowledge this problem in R.app has been around at
> least since the R-2.8 days, but likely much longer. I never use R from
> a Terminal, so don't know if it occurs or not outside R.app.
>
> It's not related to Rcmdr and you're observation is indeed one of the
> better ways to kind of reproduce the issue. Not sure if it always does
> though. If you have a 'hard' way of crashing R.app, please let me know
> the sequence. In cases when no output is written to the console of
> R.app I tend to make sure I enter an empty line before closing the
> graphics window.
>
> This issue and sometimes very long sequences of plots (never have been
> able to make that reproducible, sometimes the crash happens up to a
> minute after R finishes a series of plots and I'm working in an
> external editor like TextMate) are hard to pin down.
>
> Regards,
> Rob
>
> Note: Hope you don't mind I've removed the R-bugs & R-devel Cc's.
>
> On Apr 30, 2009, at 6:29 AM, John Fox wrote:
>
>> Dear Neil,
>>
>> I had R 2.8.0 installed on my Mac Book, also with OS X 10.5.6, and was
>> unable to duplicate this problem. I then installed R 2.9.0 and
>> observed the
>> same problem that you did. In both cases, I used the latest version
>> of the
>> Rcmdr package, 1.4-10.
>>
>> I also observed the following: (1) The problem occurred only if I
>> closed the
>> Quartz graphics device after the first graph was plotted; if I plotted
>> another graph and then closed the device, the problem did not occur.
>> (2) The
>> problem did not occur if I ran R from a terminal with an X11
>> graphics device
>> rather than using R.app.
>>
>> I'm afraid that there's not much more that I can do at this point,
>> since my
>> familiarity with Macs is minimal. I'm copying this message to Rob
>> Goedman,
>> who has proven helpful in the past. Of course, if there's something
>> in the
>> Rcmdr that's causing the problem and I can fix it, I will.
>>
>> Regards,
>> John

>>> 2: normal R exit
>>> 3: exit R without saving workspace