[Rd] View() crashy on Ubuntu 9.04

Ben Bolker bolker at ufl.edu
Wed May 13 01:46:44 CEST 2009

  It's my vague impression that View() is workable on Windows and maybe
on MacOS, but on Ubuntu Linux 9.04 (intrepid) it seems completely
unstable.  I can reliably crash R by trying to look  at a very small,
simple data frame ...

   I was going to try to run with debug turned on, but my installed
version (2.9.0) doesn't have debugging symbols, and I'm having trouble
building the latest SVN version (./configure gives "checking for
recommended packages... ls: cannot access
./src/library/Recommended/boot_*.tar.gz: No such file or directory")

   Can anyone confirm?

  cheers
    Ben Bolker

R --vanilla

> v <- data.frame(1:3,2:4)
> sessionInfo()
R version 2.9.0 (2009-04-17)
i486-pc-linux-gnu

locale:
LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8;LC_NUMERIC=C;LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8;LC_COLLATE=en_US.UTF-8;LC_MONETARY=C;LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8;LC_PAPER=en_US.UTF-8;LC_NAME=C;LC_ADDRESS=C;LC_TELEPHONE=C;LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.UTF-8;LC_IDENTIFICATION=C

attached base packages:

> View(v)

  [change focus to the view window, hit "down arrow"]

 *** caught segfault ***
address 0x4, cause 'memory not mapped'

Possible actions:
1: abort (with core dump, if enabled)