[Rd] using a "third party" DLL in my package

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri May 15 10:23:38 CEST 2009

On Thu, 14 May 2009, Seija Sirkiä wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> it seems my efforts in reading the manuals and help files aren't enough so
> here I am. The question is, how would I go about linking a pre-compiled DLL
> in to my package? I have previously successfully built packages with Fortran
> and C source code, but now I'd like to take this ready made DLL and call its
> routines from R.
>
> My collegue was brave enough to simply try and put the DLL in src folder of
> the package and proceed with building and installing the same way as if it
> had been source code. And it works, on my computer and his. Clearly this
> isn't exactly portable, and while that's ok for the use we have in mind (we
> both work on Windows XP) I have a nagging feeling this is somehow criminal or
> unwise at least.

Unwise, since it is unsupported and might stop working at any time.
Actually, you don't mention the version of R you used and (without
checking) I think this may not work in all recent versions of R.

What you can so is to have an 'inst/libs' directory in your package
sources, and put the DLL you want to use there.  Another approach
(used in a few CRAN packages) is to use 'configure.win' to copy the
DLL to a 'libs' directory in the installed package.  A third approach
is to have a 'src/Makefile.win' that creates the DLL you want
(possibly by just checking it is present in 'src', but also possiby by
calling the mysterious Fortran compiler X you obliquely mention
below).

> Why I want to do this might explain it a bit further but in fact the
> background contains another problem and I welcome anyone to give hints about
> that too.
>
> So, we have some Fortran code from way back which deals with fitting taper
> curves for tree boles, and some other functions related to that. We wanted to
> make these available for use in R and I made a package with simple wrapper
> functions for the .Fortran calls, and built it with the help of the compiler
> in Rtools. All was fine until my collegue managed to bump in to a combination
> of parameters (tree species, height and breast height diameter) with which
> the computation freezes. We traced it to a certain very simple iteration in
> the Fortran code that finds the height at which the tree has a given
> diameter. I could give more details on that, but the point is that the very
> same computation goes through just fine when executed "fully" in Fortran,
> with the routines and an interface compiled with another Fortran compiler.
> And also when that compiler is used to make a DLL and that DLL is used within
> the R package in the way I described above.
>
> In summary, what we seem to have here is a compiler dependent convergence
> problem. Possible solutions are to figure out what's wrong with the
> computation - and I've pretty much exhausted my skills on that - or to figure
> out how to use a working DLL, as was my first question.

My concern would be that there are different cases that fail under
Fortran compiler X and you are just sweeping the problem under the
carpet.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk