[Rd] Problem building (binary) packages for Windows

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri May 15 15:53:49 CEST 2009

That version of R-devel is not current, so please update it.  I think
it might have been in an interval where we tried out verious fixes for
building bundles and some of them broke other things.

In general if you use R-devel or R-patched you need to update before
reporting any difficulties.  'Under development' needs to be taken
seriously.

On Fri, 15 May 2009, Peter Ruckdeschel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am having a problem building binary packages for
> Windows recently.
>
> Normally, I use the "Murdoch-Sutherland" tool set,
>       http://www.murdoch-sutherland.com/Rtools/
> just build source packages by
>       R CMD build <pkgname>
> and install these with
>       R CMD INSTALL <pkgname>
>
> But now, for someone without having this tool set installed,
> under Win XP, with R-2.10dev (details below), I tried
> building a binary version with
>       R CMD build --binary <pkgname>
> which used to work for me until recently (unfortunately I
> cannot specify "recently" here...)
>
> Trying to install the created .zip file with
>       utils:::menuInstallLocal()
>
> I get an error message
> "
> package 'distr' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
> Error in unpackPkg(pkgs[i], pkgnames[i], lib) :
>  malformed bundle DESCRIPTION file, no Contains field
> "
>
> Now AFAICS I have not tried to build a bundle ...
>
> Searching the help archives, I found a posting by Uwe Ligges,
>       http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.r.general/64574/
> saying that
>       R CMD INSTALL --build
> was preferable to
>       R CMD build --binary
> --- in which respect? Would this avoid the error message?

That's rather old as well: now the second calls the first on Windows.
What may matter is whether you specify -l on R CMD INSTALL --build (R
CMD build --binary does), as installing into the main library does a
better job of resolving HTML cross links.

So the advice is to use R CMD INSTALL --build *and* install into the
main library (or the library where you install all your add-on
packages).