[Rd] View() crashy on Ubuntu 9.04

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri May 15 17:42:40 CEST 2009

Thank you, included in R-patched and R-devel now.

BTW, it looks like the original problem is in MBCS locales only, which
postdate the X11 View() code (but we had patches from Mr Nakama:
input contexts are needed for entering CJK languages).

I do wonder sometimes if people who only work with data in ASCII or in
a Western European language covered by Latin-1 realize the extent of
the overhead that using a UTF-8 locale implies, especially for the X11
functionality.  I still use a Latin-1 locale on Linux much of the
time.  There are a lot of optimizations in the R code for ASCII-only
data, but rather fewer in the I/O areas.