[Rd] S4 method dispatch and namespaces: why is default method selected

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Tue May 19 05:59:52 CEST 2009

Hi Michał --

Michał Bojanowski <michal2992 at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I ran into the following peculiarity involving S4 method dispatch and
> namespaces.
>
> I develop a package which have a namespace and which depends on 'pixmap'
> package, which itself does not have a namespace.
>
> Now, in my package I have a class which has a slot for objects from
> class "pixmap" and I
> want to have a "plot" method for this new class. Not to clutter the point with
> my original code here is a stylized example:
>

> # library(pixmap) # so that the class pixmap is available
>
> # class
> setClass("myclass", representation(img="pixmap", title="character",
> other="numeric"))
>
> # method to plot
> setMethod("plot", signature(x="myclass", y="missing"),
> function(x, main=x at title, ...)
> {
>     # plot using the method from pixmap package
>     plot(x=x at img, ...)
>     title(main=main)
>     points(seq(along=x at other), other)
> } )
>

> Now, if you try to do this:
>
> library(pixmap)
> f <- system.file(file.path("pictures", "logo.ppm"), package="pixmap")
> o <- new("myclass", img=read.pnm(f), title="some title", other=Inf)
>
> # now this works as the plot method for signature x="pixmap" y="ANY" is
> # dispatched correctly
> plot(o)
>

> However, when I put all these in a package with Depends field in
> DESCRIPTION having: methods, pixmap, and with the following namespace:
>

> importFrom("graphics", "plot")
> exportClasses("myclass")
> exportMethods("plot")
>

> things stop working (this is from package test):
>

>> f <- system.file(file.path("pictures", "logo.ppm"), package="pixmap")
>> o <- new("myclass", a=read.pnm(f), title="tytul")
>> plot(o)
> Error in as.double(y) :
>   cannot coerce type 'S4' to vector of type 'double'
> Calls: plot ... plot -> .local -> plot -> plot.default -> xy.coords
> Execution halted
>

> So apparently calling 'plot' dispatches the default method instead of using the
> one from package 'pixmap'. Why?

Not speaking authoritatively, but plot,myclass,missing-method is
defined in your name space, and so has access only to symbols defined
or imported into the name space. The plot,pixmap,ANY-method is not in
your name space (even though it's on the search path), and so is not
found. Clever of the methods package to keep track of this. I think
the only solution is

  pixmap::plot(x=x at img, ...)

Martin