[Rd] Automatic Differentiation for R

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Tue May 19 15:08:07 CEST 2009

[MM stumbling over on old thread ... he'd be interested]

    GaGr> Not sure if this is sufficient for your needs but R does include symbolic
    GaGr> differentiation, see ?D, and the Ryacas and rSymPy
    GaGr> packages interface R to the yacas and sympy computer algebra
    GaGr> systems (CAS) and those system include symbolic differentiation.

No, symbolic differentiation is not enough.
Automatic Differentiation (AD) is something much more general (in one
way) and much less mathematical from  a classical view point:
But then, AD is much more generally useful for minimization as, basically,
the input is an R function
    f(x)     	       {with x multidimensional}
or  f(x1,x2, ..., xp)  {with scalar x1, x2, ..}
and the output is again an R function
which computes f() and all {or just selected} partial
derivatives  d f / d{xi}.

Now consider that the function f()  can contain if() and while()
clauses and conceptually ever language feature of R.
In practice, I'm pretty sure the list of features would have to
be restricted, similarly as they'd have to for an R compiler to
be feasible.

I agree that  AD for R would be very nice and could be very
useful.
I'd also be interested to help AD people learn the S4 classes
and methods (hoping that it's close enough to what they call
"operator overloading" something I'd presume to be less general
than the powerful S4 class/methods system).

Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich

    GaGr> http://ryacas.googlecode.com
    GaGr> http://rsympy.googlecode.com