[Rd] Can a function know what other function called it?

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Tue May 26 17:50:29 CEST 2009

On 5/24/2009 10:23 AM, Romain Francois wrote:
> Duncan Murdoch wrote:
>> On 23/05/2009 4:55 PM, Robert Gentleman wrote:
>>> Kynn Jones wrote:
>>>
> [snip]
>>>
>>>   and you have a breakpoint in bar, you could not (easily)
>>> distinguish which of
>>> the two calls to bar was active. There is no line counter or anything
>>> of that
>>> sort available.
>>
>> The evaluator doesn't pay any attention to srcref records, so this is
>> still true, but it would be possible to keep the srcref on the stack
>> as well as all the other info there.
>
> Please

Here's a patch file that does this.  (Will it make it through to the
mailing list?  We'll see.)  It's still in progress, so I'm not even
ready to put it into R-devel, but you're welcome to try it out.

The basic idea is that it attaches srcref attributes to the values
returned from sys.calls (which won't be displayed, but if you want to
play with them you can) and to .Traceback (which traceback() will
display).  debug() will also show them.

Not sure what bad side effects (e.g. on execution time) this has.

Duncan Murdoch