[Rd] plot ignores type= "n" when x is factor (PR#13703)

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Tue May 26 21:30:10 CEST 2009

On 5/26/2009 1:38 PM, Barry Rowlingson wrote:
> On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 5:58 PM, Paul Johnson <pauljohn32 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> There's no mention of plot.factor in the plot help page.
>
> Yes there is, but hidden slightly more than the planning application
> for the destruction of the Earth ("It was on display in the bottom of
> a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the
> door saying 'Beware of the Leopard'"[1]). Here it is:
>
> See Also:
>
>      'plot.default', 'plot.formula' and other methods; 'points',
>      'lines', 'par'.
>
>  see that 'other methods'? That's it. That's a clue. That's our
> 'beware of the leopard'. So you need to know about methods...
>
>> How about inserting this at the top of the help page for plot:
>>
>> If either x or y is a factor variable, the plot.factor method is
>> called to determine the sort of graph to be drawn. If x and y are both
>> numeric, the type argument determines the sort of graph to be drawn.
>
>  Ah, but something like that would need inserting at the top of just
> about every function. R has 'generic' functions that call specific
> functions for specific types of object. In two (or more) different
> ways. I'm not sure if there's an easy way to say 'get me the help for
> the specific method for this thing X when I do foo(X)'.

There is, though it only works if X has an S4 class, so it doesn't work
in this particular case.  You just use

?foo(X)

The mechanism could be extended to S3 classes by guessing that functions
always dispatch on the class of the first argument, and that might be
better than what we have now, but there's a lot of guesswork involved.

Duncan Murdoch