[Rd] internal and external debugging [was: [R] step by step debugger in R?]

Romain Francois romain.francois at dbmail.com
Thu May 28 09:32:00 CEST 2009

Hi,

Thank you for these comments. I think it does indeed add to the
discussion and provides a good reference. I have added a few comments below.

Mark.Bravington at csiro.au wrote:
> Hello all
>
> I'm coming late to this discussion, and my comments may now be beside the point-- but I have been intending to ask what people think of the pros & cons of internal and external (e.g. 'debug' package) debuggers. When I wrote 'debug', the internal debugger just didn't do what I wanted, but maybe things have changed-- hence this email, to find out. The particular facilities in 'debug' that I'm thinking of, are
>
>    - Graceful error trapping. In 'debug', I can just run til it crashes, then figure out what's up and carry on if desired-- often in conjunction with...

options( error = recover ) lets you examine what did cause the crash.
AFAIK, it does not let you carry on.

>    - 'skip', to move the execution point around. I use this all the time, often after a graceful error trap, to replace a dodgy bit of code with the correct version, and then skip round the bad version to carry on.

I am not sure I understand completely here, but I think the new
facilities implemented by Robert Gentleman are going in this direction.
once in a browser, you can use browserSetDebug to jump up one or more
frames in the stack.

>    - the conditional breakpoint facilities, including debugging of on-exit code.

browser now (in R-devel) has a "expr" argument that I think controls
whether to actually enter the browser or not.

Also, with the work Duncan Murdoch has been doing recently on keeping
the srcref records as part of the stack, we are not too far from the
ability to create breakpoints without actually typing in "browser()" in
the code, i.e. something similar to trace(...,at=) where at would not be
a step in the list of expressions of the function but a srcref record.
This would great from a visual debugger point of view.

Romain