[Rd] install.packages now intentionally references .Rprofile?

McGehee, Robert Robert.McGehee at geodecapital.com
Fri May 29 20:45:39 CEST 2009

I see that related to this thread, 'R CMD INSTALL' (like
'install.packages') also reads the .Rprofile before beginning. This
caused package installation headaches for me that developers should be
aware (as it was very difficult to debug).

I added a setwd() to my .Rprofile [for example: setwd("/tmp")] to keep
.Rhistory files from popping up in directories throughout my computer.
This causes package installation to fail completely with an unhelpful
error message. For example (any package will do here):
> R CMD INSTALL zoo_1.5-6.tar.gz
Warning: invalid package 'zoo_1.5-6.tar.gz'
Error: ERROR: no packages specified

Removing 'setwd(...)' from the .Rprofile restores normal package
installation behavior.

I'd like to request that either setwd() not break installation, or the
user can disable .Rprofile reading on R CMD INSTALL (for instance with
an option such as --no-init-file). I'll use Heather's solution below for
the short-term, but would rather not have to completely turn off my
.Rprofile for non-interactive scripts.

Thanks, Robert