[Rd] sapply improvements

William Dunlap wdunlap at tibco.com
Wed Nov 4 21:53:29 CET 2009

It looks good on following examples:

> z <- split(log(1:10), rep(letters[1:2],c(3,7)))
> sapply(z, length, FUN.VALUE=numeric(1))
Error in sapply(z, length, FUN.VALUE = numeric(1)) :
  FUN values must be of type 'double'

(I'd like the error to say "... must be of type 'double',
not 'integer'", to give the user a fuller diagnosis of
the problem.)

> sapply(z, range, FUN.VALUE=c(Min=0,Max=0))
           a        b
Min 0.000000 1.386294
Max 1.098612 2.302585

Exactly matching the typeof's and using the names
for row.names on matrix output seem good to me.

Bill Dunlap
Spotfire, TIBCO Software
wdunlap tibco.com