[Rd] sapply improvements

William Dunlap wdunlap at tibco.com
Wed Nov 4 22:30:18 CET 2009

Would you only want it to coerce upwards to FUN.VALUES's
type?  E.g., allow
   sapply(z, length, FUN.VALUE=numeric(1))
to return a numeric vector but die on
   sapply(z, function(zi)as.complex(zi[1]), FUN.VALUE=numeric(1))
If the latter doesn't die should it return
a complex or a numeric vector?  (I'd say it
needs to be numeric, but I'd prefer that it
died.)

Bill Dunlap
Spotfire, TIBCO Software
wdunlap tibco.com