[Rd] Active bindings in attached environments

Tony Plate tplate at acm.org
Thu Nov 5 21:09:46 CET 2009

An explanation of this would be nice in ?makeActiveBinding, e.g.,

NOTE:

When an environment is attach()'ed to the search path, any active
bindings in it are not preserved as active bindings.  This happens
because attach() actually adds a new environment to the search path, and
copies objects into it.  Thus, active bindings are evaluated and their
values copied into the attached environment.

(Is this explanation correct?)

-- Tony Plate

(PS: Thunderbird wants to spell-correct "makeActiveBinding" to
"vindictivenesses", which seems an amusingly appropriate allusion to the
nature of this "gotcha" :-)