[Rd] Windows installer, HTML help, R 2.10.0

Oliver Soong osoong+r at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 06:05:10 CET 2009

I'm not 100% sure this hasn't been covered already (I searched a bit,
but I had a little trouble filtering down to a useful number of useful
results).  Anyway, when I install R on Windows, the installer asks to
set the default help type.  For some reason, I can set it as HTML in
the installer, but the results open as if help_type = "text" by
default.  I presume this is related to the new changes to the help.
Calling help(help, help_type = "html") works as expected, so the HTML
help works and I could manually fix this by setting options(help_type
= "html") in a session or in my .Rprofile.

I'm not sure if I'm the only one seeing this, but for what it's worth,
I also set SDI and Internet = Standard.  I haven't experimented with
different installation settings to see which ones work.

Oliver