[Rd] Clarification on generic functions and methods

Doran, Harold HDoran at air.org
Wed Nov 11 18:17:38 CET 2009

Thank you, Henrik. This actually doesn't work when I build the package, which may only require a slight modification to what I'm doing now. First, I create a NAMESPACE as:

### NAMESPACE FILE CONTENTS
export(jml2)
S3method(jml2, fit)
S3method(jml2, default)
S3method(jml2, formula)
S3method(print, jml)
S3method(summary, jml)
S3method(print, summary.jml)

So, only the generic function (jml) is exported.

Now, I do as you suggest below for the generic function, but keep all others as they were previously. That creates a situation where jml.formula, jml.default, and jml have different arguments.

Now, in the .Rd file for the jml function I want the user to see the usage for the jml.formula method, which obviously has more args than "...". So, the .Rd file is structured as (for testing purposes only):

\name{jml2}
\alias{jml2}
\title{JML Estimation}
\description{JML Stuff}
\usage{
jml2(formula, data, na.action, subset, con = 1e-3, bias = FALSE, ...)
}
\arguments{
  \item{formula}{Describe later}
  \item{data}{Describe later}
  \item{na.action}{Describe later}
  \item{subset}{Describe later}
  \item{con}{Describe later}
  \item{bias}{Describe later}
  \item{\dots}{Not implemented}
}
\author{Me}
\examples{
\dontrun{jml(~V1 + V2, data)}
}
\keyword{misc}

But, because the args in the generic functions differ from what I have placed in the .Rd file, the check phase yields the following error, which indicates the .Rd file and code are different.

C:\Program Files\R\R-2.10.0\bin>Rcmd check g:\jmlFoo
* checking for working pdflatex ...pdflatex: not found
 NO
* checking for working latex ...latex: not found
 NO
* using log directory 'C:/Program Files/R/R-2.10.0/bin/jmlFoo.Rcheck'
* using R version 2.10.0 (2009-10-26)
* using session charset: ISO8859-1
* checking for file 'jmlFoo/DESCRIPTION' ... OK
* checking extension type ... Package
* this is package 'jmlFoo' version '1.0'
* checking package name space information ... OK
* checking package dependencies ... OK
* checking if this is a source package ... OK
* checking for executable files ... OK
* checking whether package 'jmlFoo' can be installed ... OK
* checking package directory ... OK
* checking for portable file names ... OK
* checking DESCRIPTION meta-information ... OK
* checking top-level files ... OK
* checking index information ... OK
* checking package subdirectories ... OK
* checking R files for non-ASCII characters ... OK
* checking R files for syntax errors ... OK
* checking whether the package can be loaded ... OK
* checking whether the package can be loaded with stated dependencies ... OK
* checking whether the name space can be loaded with stated dependencies ... OK
* checking for unstated dependencies in R code ... OK
* checking S3 generic/method consistency ... OK
* checking replacement functions ... OK
* checking foreign function calls ... OK
* checking R code for possible problems ... NOTE
jml2.fit: no visible binding for global variable 'theta.max'
jml2.fit: no visible global function definition for 'fit.Stats'
* checking Rd files ... OK
* checking Rd metadata ... OK
* checking Rd cross-references ... OK
* checking for missing documentation entries ... OK
* checking for code/documentation mismatches ... WARNING
Codoc mismatches from documentation object 'jml2':
jml2
  Code: function(...)
  Docs: function(formula, data, na.action, subset, con = 0.001, bias =
                 FALSE, ...)
  Argument names in docs not in code:
    formula data na.action subset con bias
  Mismatches in argument names:
    Position: 1 Code: ... Docs: formula

* checking Rd \usage sections ... OK
* checking examples ... OK

WARNING: There was 1 warning, see
  C:/Program Files/R/R-2.10.0/bin/jmlFoo.Rcheck/00check.log
for details

So, what I'm trying to accomplish is to export the jml generic function and make this the only one visible to the user. All others are in the NAMESPACE as S3 methods. But this obviously creates a conflict between what I want in the .Rd file and what args are in the code for the generic jml function.

Can anyone help me understand how this might be resolved?

Harold