[Rd] typo in docs for unlink()

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Thu Nov 12 09:21:58 CET 2009

    SF> On 11/11/09 2:36 AM, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
    >> On 10/11/2009 11:16 PM, Tony Plate wrote:
    >>> PS, I should have said that I'm reading the docs for unlink in
    >>> R-2.10.0 on a Linux system. The docs that appear in a Windows
    >>> installation of R are different (the Windows docs do not mention that
    >>> not all systems support recursive=TRUE).
    >>>
    >>> Here's a plea for docs to be uniform across all systems! Trying to
    >>> write R code that works on all systems is much harder when the docs
    >>> are different across systems, and you might only see system specific
    >>> notes on a different system than the one you're working on.
    >>
    >> That's a good point, but in favour of the current practice, it is very
    >> irritating when searches take you to functions that don't work on your
    >> system.
    >>
    >> One thing that might be possible is to render all versions of the help
    >> on all systems, but with some sort of indicator (e.g. a colour change)
    >> to indicate things that don't apply on your system, or only apply on
    >> your system. I think the hardest part of doing this would be designing
    >> the output; actually implementing it would not be so bad.

    SF> I would be strongly in favor of a change that provided documentation for
    SF> all systems on all systems.

    SF> Since platform specific behavior for R functions is the exception rather
    SF> than the norm, I would imagine that simply displaying doc sections by
    SF> platform would be sufficient.

    SF> I think the benefit of being able to see what might not work on another
    SF> platform far out weighs the inconvenience of finding doc during a search
    SF> for something that only works on another platform -- hey, that still
    SF> might be useful as it would tell you what platform you should use ;-)

I strongly agree.
As someone said, this only applies to relatively few help pages,
and I'm not sure if it's worth (at the moment) of first
designing a rendering scheme to emphasize your current platform.
Maybe even to the contrary, I'd want the PDF version of the
help page to (almost (*)) entirely platform independent.
It depends how thing *are* platform dependent.
If one function argument only applies to Windows, then the
corresponding paragraph could simply start,
"On Windows, .....".
In other situations, using something similar to what Henrik
proposed, a \section{..} on platform specific parts would
suffice.

I also find it very important that I read on "my" (OS) help page,
about less or more functionality on another platform, and I'd
rather want the full details of that platform than just
a note that something is platform dependent.
Of course, there's the situation of missing / extra  capabilities()
but I think these are well documented where applicable, and they
*do* follow the idea that you should also learn about things
that are currently not available to you.

Martin