[Rd] Suggestion: Add links to NEWS and CHANGES on help.start() page

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Sun Nov 15 13:21:31 CET 2009

On 13/11/2009 3:37 AM, Henrik Bengtsson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> right now it is actually a bit tricky to locate and view the NEWS and
> the CHANGES files, especially if you are a beginning and don't even
> know that you are supposed to look for them.
>
> I'd like to recommend that links to (local) NEWS and CHANGES are added
> to the help.start() overview pages.  help("NEWS")/help("CHANGE LOG")
> and help("CHANGES") could display/refer to them as well.

I've done this now in R-devel.

(I thought I'd written about this yesterday, but I don't see my post, so
maybe it never made it out.  If it did, the text below may be a repeat.)

It would look better if the files were translated into HTML.  Anyone
want to write a news2HTML function?

I haven't done any of the package-specific suggestions yet; they're
slightly trickier because packages are inconsistent in how they present
news.  For those, I think we should use the news() function, but it
requires the news2HTML translation to give nice looking output.

Duncan Murdoch